Re: bmw-digest V9 #1093

>------------------------------
>
>Date: Wed, 12 May 1999 11:11:42 -0400
>From: "Pogozelski, Andrew A [AMSTA-AR-FSA-T]" <apogozel@domain.elided>
>Subject: Re:  e28 shakes
>
>Steve,
>I want to add to your list my shake symptom that I've been trying to figure
>out
>unsuccessfully for some time now on my 1985 535i:
>
>it vibrates at two distinct speeds - taking off from start and between 25
>and 30
>mph, really bad under load and warm conditions which is opposite to your
>U-joint symptom - under cold conditions.
>
>Does that mean that mine is not a bad U-joint case?
>I'd hate to buy a rebuilt shaft when it is not necessary.
>
>My mechanic says it must be U-joint after you eliminate the "Guibo"
>(rubber disc) - I don't have Guibo (automatic transmission), and an axle
>cv joint - they almost never go bad.
>
>I always feel vibrating from the center bearing at the two speeds: 0 and 25
>30 but to me the bearing is not a source, it's a result.
>Once I pass 30 mph it's all nice and smooth.
>
>Andrew
>1985 535i 197k
>1985 735 183k
>Denville, NJ

Steve, Andrew, etc.
don't forget to check all of the fasteners in the drivetrain, my E-30 had a
knocking that was proportional to the speed and it was caused by some loose
bolts.

At either end of the drive shaft and between the diff. and the C-V joints
are flanged couplings with 6 bolts each. It is a simple thing to check.

Josh