Re: <E28> Rear brake swap?

Ed said (sorry, couldn't resist):
>One very reputable source told me that he sold the rear brakes from his E34
>to an E28 1988 528e owner who bolted them on.  Another person told me that
>after an afternoon of wrenching, the E34 M5 rears definitely do not bolt on
>to his E28 1986 535i.  A third reputable source had no idea.

What I gots:  1988 E28 M5 w/ E34 M5 fr/rr brakes and E34 17" sport rims.
You will need 16" rims with this combo.  Also, this model had ABS.

I thought the '86 E28 had ABS but I guess not.  That may be the reason your
friends '86 wouldn't accept the E34 M5 brakes.  Outside of that I couldn't
tell you.  They are a great addition since the rear brakes in E28's are a
little on the "slender" side.  I noticed a nice difference after I bolted
mine up (and the pad's bedded in with the new FREAKIN' EXPENSIVE rotors).

I think all E32, E34 and E31 brakes will bolt up to your E28.  Once again,
I'm not sure on the ABS differences and further confused (my daily state of
being) why your friend couldn't get the rear's to bolt up.

FWIW

Jerry Chyo
'88 M5 (E34 M5 brakes with 17" E34 sport wheels)
'72 tii (got most stuff for the E21 vented front and rear drum upgrade)