Re: e28 shakes

Steve,
I want to add to your list my shake symptom that I've been trying to figure
out
unsuccessfully for some time now on my 1985 535i:

it vibrates at two distinct speeds - taking off from start and between 25
and 30
mph, really bad under load and warm conditions which is opposite to your
U-joint symptom - under cold conditions.

Does that mean that mine is not a bad U-joint case?
I'd hate to buy a rebuilt shaft when it is not necessary.

My mechanic says it must be U-joint after you eliminate the "Guibo"
(rubber disc) - I don't have Guibo (automatic transmission), and an axle
cv joint - they almost never go bad.

I always feel vibrating from the center bearing at the two speeds: 0 and 25
30 but to me the bearing is not a source, it's a result.
Once I pass 30 mph it's all nice and smooth.

Andrew
1985 535i 197k
1985 735 183k
Denville, NJ