Valve cover gasket?

Phillip,

I'm assuming you have an E30 here...  Replacing the gasket is pretty
simple.  You need to remove the support brackets for the ICV (I don't
think you have a cold start valve, but if you do, you need to remove
that support bracket as well).  If  I recall correctly, you'll only
need a 10mm wrench/socket for the whole job.

The biggest PITA is removing the breather hose.  Undo all the nuts on
the valve cover, and lift it off.  Then swear a lot and push the
breather hose off the valve cover.  Worked for me!

Replace the gasket...there are also four little rubber plugs, two on
each end of the head, that you might consider replacing at the same
time.  They're pretty simple, just remove the old ones and drop the new
ones in.

Assembley is the reverse of removal.  Don't follow the Bentley manual's
torque specs for the cover nuts -- you'll snap the studs right out of
the head.  Just get them nice and snug.

     KC Boyce
     '85 325e
     E30 Eta Page: http://rikki.cc.colorado.edu/~k_boyce/