E28 Suspension Questions

Yesterday I started some front-end work on my 535i.  Replacing thrust &
control arms, E32 rotor/caliper swap, sway bar links, maybe more.
I want to get these done and drive the car to test shimmy & try out brakes
before moving on to shocks & springs.  Mainly, though, I haven't been able
to decide best shock/spring(/sway bar?) combo for the car.  I've read
Richard Nott's suspension faq & many other postings from here, yet still am
not sure what to do - this is a call for opinions!

Specifically, I want a very agressive street setup that I also could take
to driver's school/track if I get into it.  I don't want to sacrifice
driveability (wife and I tour in car) but am willing to compromise it a
little.  Also, am willing to lower the car ~1" if that's the best setup.
Some specific questions:

- -I've seen recommendation on stock springs & relatively stiff shocks (e.g.,
Koni), so are my existing springs still good?  How long do BMW springs
last, and how can I test/inspect them to evaluate their status?  (car has
124K miles, doubtlessly orig. springs)  Is it true that most after-market
springs won't last like OEM?  Should I buy new BMW springs (haven't priced,
but guess $$)?  Are there good alternatives to stock that don't change
height?

- -If I wanted to lower, what is best (or at least good) spring/shock combo?
I hear Bilstein Sports are too stiff for this application;  what are best
alternatives for lowered?  My tolerance for stiff is probably high;  I
rebuilt a 914 that could feel every leaf it drove over.  The E28 is so well
mannered, though, I don't want to ruin it.

- -Lastly, sway bar recommendations for above alternatives?  I intend to work
on back end this Summer.

One other thing - both Bentley's & Bavarian Autosport directions said
remove cotter pin from tapered pin at thrust arm ball joint;  mine didn't
have cotter pin or pin w/cotter hole.  Should I replace w/cotter (is this a
safety issue?)  Nut wasn't loose when I removed, I guess I could just use
Locktight.

Oh yeah ... plan to upgrade to 16" x 7.5 wheels, 225/50 tires later this year.

Thanks for rehashing with me.

o/______\o    AxMan
(oo_OO_oo)   '88 535i
[]o----o[]   125K miles, sharked on Thanksgiving!