E30 Weird electrical prob (radio, and int. lights)

I'm having two electrical problems with my '84 325e.

1st: Radio.  In order for it to work, it must be turned on before
    the ignition key is turned to on.   If you turn it off, and then back
    on again, it won't work until you turn the ignition off and back on.
    If  you put a tape in, it goes silent within a few minute, esp. if you
    hit a bump.    This is a stock radio, and when it is switched on
    and not working, the display is on, and if a tape is in, it is running,
    but no sound.

2nd: Dome lights don't come on when you open the driver's door.
   The switch is OK, and I even tried shorting the wires to ground
    (this is how the switch works), but no go.    The passenger side
    switch works OK.

If anyone has had these problems, and has a solution, please let
me know.

Thanks,
Jay

'89 325i w/ Jim C Chip, 15x7 Borbets,  heated aspherical Euro mirrors
'84 325e 5spd (forsale soon)
'74 2002 Forsale (need money, will be missed)
'72 2002 (future 2.5L six)
'67 Pontiac Firebird 400 Conv (4spd)
'87 F-150 (Parts hauler and tow vehicle)
Jay Snyder                                   ________
jsnyder@domain.elided                      /________\
http://www.microserve.net/~jsnyder         (oo==OO==oo)
(717)652-3567                               @        @