E28 cuts out..The Fix

After discovering the airflow meter as the fault, I cleaned the printed
surface inside that the little brass contacts slide across.( the
potentiometer )While inspecting, I saw that the little brass contacts
had worn a small groove where they spend most of the time sliding
around. Of course, Im sure there is no replacement part, and I must buy
a whole new AFM. Before I did that, I thought I'd try to repair it
first.
After opening, I loosened the 8mm pinch-bolt and removed the contact
assembly. First, you must unscrew the plate holding the wires, and
disconnect the wires, and gently remove the plate. Now you can lift the
movable contact off.
Next, I removed the metal plate which has the circuit, and the curved
path for the contact. I oval-shaped the mounting holes on the plate, and
filed a small amount off of one edge, so I could now re-mount the plate
such that the contact now slides along a slightly different path, 1 or 2
mm below the old path.
It worked perfectly. 1000 miles so far, and it hasn't missed a beat.
I hope this helps somebody somewhere, as I was having fits trying to
trouble-shoot this. And, I saved about $275 on a new AFM.

If anyone has questions about the symptoms or the fix, I'll try to help.

Cheers,
Dan M.
'86 535I
'87 K100RS