speedo but no odo

Greetings: I have a 1985 318i that just got new batteries in the SI board.
Heck the whole board was new.  Everything works except I don't get my odo or
trip to register.  I have heard it is gear driven like my 02 but I seem to
remember when putting everything back together there was no cable, just a
push on connector for the area behind the speedo.  Has anybody else had the
same problem and what do you suggest?  Thanx for the help,

Ben Dixon
'71 02
'85 318i