Re: <E30> Won't Start

Dear Jeff,

I think you're battery charging diagnosis is correct.  Overcharging the
battery can "boil" off the electrolyte, slowly killing the battery.  When I
worked for Johnson Controls, they had a battery research/purchase plan for
employees.  One thing they told me is that heat destroys batteries.  Of
course, you don't know that you've got a sick battery until winter rolls
around, and you need the extra current to turn over a "stiff" engine.

I would also check out the electrical system very carefully, especially
connections.

If the cranking speed is very slow, starting can be difficult.

Sincerely,

John Hung
84 VW Vanagon
84 Audi 5000s