Hi and car question

Hello,

I've just joined this group, (I'm so new to it I haven't even received
a digest yet), and I have a question for you guys, which I hope you can
help me with.

A relative has offered me a 1989 BMW 320i 2 door manual transmission
for what is a *very* good price. He has warned me however of a fault
with what he thinks is the clutch, which the local mechanic hasn't been
able to solve. The pattern of the problem is as follows:

After the car has been in traffic for approximately 50 mins to 1 hr,
the clutch becomes very rough and 'juddery', in total contrast to the
usual smooth running of the car. I've been in the car before with him
so I know all about it. He hasn't paid too much attention to the
problem because he's rarely in traffic. The problem has existed for at
least a year. The rest of the car is pristine.

I intend to take the car to a BMW dealer to have it properly serviced
when I get it, but I don't want to offend the relative by looking what
is essentially a gift horse in the mouth. Could anyone tell me if this
is likely to be a serious headache to have repaired (I will be in
traffic), or what the likely problem is?

If this is a stupid question for the group, please excuse me and reply
to my e-mail address.

Thanks and best regards

matt

mathew.mcgee@domain.elided