RE: <MISC> DIY versus Professional Work

I used to believe that practically any job could be done by a DIYer with a
decent manual, but then I became aware that not all folks are wired the same,
or have a "feel" for such things.

Having grown up the son of a professional mechanic and garage owner, I guess
I learned a lot of what I know by "accidental ozmosis" and just never figured
I had any special knowledge not held by everyone. Though I now earn my living
as a professional person, I greatly enjoy working on things, have a shop
equivalent to most independent (non marque affiliated) shops, and also hold
an airframe and powerplant mechanic certificate as well as that of Inspection
Authorization, which allows me to work on and inspect US registered aircraft.

However, I have friends who when attempting the simplest jobs have made
horrendous mistakes. One chap carefully read the manual on how to remove and
replace the hubs and rotors on his 320i. He did the job exactly as stated,
but after torquing the spindle nut to 30 ft lbs or so as the manual
instructed (to take up all play in the wheel bearings prior to setting the
final proper play), he neglected to back the nut off prior to fixing the nut
in place. The result was cooked bearings and ruined hubs and spindles.
Fortunately he stopped driving before the bearings seized completely and
thereby possibly averted a bad accident. This guy is a very smart person, but
he didn't have the "common sense" that comes from exposure to this kind of
work. The mistake was made not just from carelessness, but from ignorance of
the conditions of operation of the components concerned.

Now, this same person just completely restored his 1967 MGB-GT after complete
disassembly of the vehicle and most of its components, including the engine
and suspension (and I mean complete). During the process he asked for lots of
advice from knowledgeable persons and has turned out to be a pretty good
mechanic. The bottom line is that while most enthusiasts are capable of doing
most of the work our cars require, they are best advised to learn not only
the specific task required (as from a manual), but to understand the most
basic processes involved in auto mechanics, and possibly have the vehicle
inspected after their efforts.

This type of skill takes some time to learn, and while not beyond the
intelligence or abilities of any of us, it is essential for the safe repair
of our vehicles. I am sure most of us at least know someone who would be glad
to take us by the hand while we learn the new skills necessary for our
avocation. I hope that those without prior experience do seek out the advice
that will make them capable of the repairs they seek to perform.

Bob