<MISC> re:DIY versus Professional Work

Ron Buchalski sez
>Frequently, there are comments and questions posted to this list
>similar to:
>
>"I'm getting ready to change the oil in my car, and the instructions
>state that the oil should be changed at operating temperature.  How do
>you guys change your oil when it's hot?"
>
>Seriously, folks, it's great to be able to DIY, but if you're a novice
>to car repairs, you'd be better off taking your car to a professional

ummm... so how exactly do you get to the point where you are *not*
a novice ?

Some of us live where (a) there are no BMW clubs around, (b) most repair places
don't like you in the shop part because of liability and (c) we don't know
anybody locally who wrenches their own cars.

I gotta say that I am by no means an automotive expert, but one way to learn
is to just DO IT. Working on a car is *not* rocket science. Some thinking,
taking things slowly, using a manual and asking around (ie on the digest)
you can do and learn an aweful lot about your car.

My limiting factor is TIME=MONEY. I *like* working on my cars, but often
don't have the time, and would rather just pay someone competent.

Not long ago I was in exactly the opposite situation (I was a student) and
I had NO money but quite a bit of time.

chris pawlowicz
'89 325i
'74 2002
ex '81 320i - fixed it myself and learned a LOT in the process