setting valves on E30 eta, Haynes vs. Bentley manual advice needed...

Fellow BMW people,

I've tried setting the valve lash on my 325(e style) before, but I wasn't
very successful at it.  Does anyone have advice, big or small, on getting
this done right/well, special tools, cold or hot, recommended lash int/exh?
I'm not a novice at turning engines over without sparkplugs installed,
timing belt change was involved but easy, I've even had the head off (twice)
for oil leak and later carbon removal, but I can't seem to get the valve
lash "dialed".  My Haynes manual says use a piece of "stiff wire" or
something silly to rotate the eccentric portion while setting them, but I
don't think I was able to find something with a firm "feel".  I know that
people rave about the Bentley manuals, but would that really make my life
that much easier if I don't plan much "involved" work?

I'd appreciate any and all input, direct or "onlist", I've got the tuning
and power mods dialed, but the idle is rough and I know that adjusting the
lash would help all around.  It's probably been a year or so.

tia!

- -Rod Birch