RE:brakes

The equation for friction forces only uses the surface coefficient of
friction and perpendicular pressure.  Therefore pad size and rotor swept
area do not in and of themselves contribute to brake torque.  Larger pads
will help lower pad and rotor temperature which reduces brake fade and large
swept area usually means a large rotor diameter which contributes to brake
torque in lb-ft.

The two factors that most contribute to brake torque are rotor diameter and
caliper piston diameter.  The rotor is the lever that the caliper applies
its force on and the caliper piston is the amplifier for brake pedal
pressure.  The other factors such as pad size and rotor swept area will
contribute to the fade resistance of the brake assembly.  Which is important
since brakes turn a vehicles momentum into heat and heat usually causes
street pads to fade in their effective coefficient of friction.

For myself, I don't spend my money on drilled/slotted rotors, SS brake
lines, competition pad material, etc. etc. Because these items are
marginally more effective, usually do not help with the heat build-up and
cause the most problems with reliability.

For a significant, brake performance upgrade, purchase a set of BMW OE
calipers and rotors from an E30, ///M 3 or maybe an E36,  brake set if they
will fit with compatible rotors and calipers.  A .5-1 inch larger diameter
rotor, and larger caliper will out perform all the other original part
upgrades, work much better, be totally reliable and for only a few bucks
more.