E30 Mods and upgrade path

After reading the many E30 posts, I have to chime in.

E30 325 brakes suck is a mentality I had for a long time until I
got humbled by a few ITS cars that yes still run the stock 10 inch
units and stock calipers.  Yes the car only weighs 2,750 in ITS
form , but its fairy easy to get an E30 down to 2,600 pounds.
(Daily driver 2,600lbs)

I put E30 M3 brakes and suspension on my car with a host of other
items in search of speed.  The car was fast, but the driver (me)
needed more training.

Net, net the E30 325i with brake cooling on the stock setup and a bit
of weight reduction/tuning should turn J stock E30 M3 times at many tracks.
Look at your regional SCCA results for ITS 325s and compare that to
J stock BMW club racing.  Best ITS 325 I saw at Road Atlanta
was 1 minute 45 seconds with J stock E30 M3's turning about the same
except for the really gifted drivers.

The E30 325i motor with the correct exhaust and chip with a balanced
and blue printed stock engine puts out close to 190hp.

Grant
'97 M3 Sedan

End of bmw-digest V9 #1062