Symptom of a bad strut bearing?

During the past 2 weeks my 97 M3 with bilsteins and H&Rs  developed a VERY
hard pounding ride on the front drivers side. At first i thought the strut
blew and it was bottoming out... but no sign of a leak.  After paying more
attention to the harsh ride, i began to realize it feels more like its not
compressing at all instead of bottoming...
The only time i hear a slight rattling noise coming from the stut is when I
begin to drive up my driveway at an angle. It must cause it to shift around a
little bit.
Can the upper strut bearing  have gone bad it it was installed using an air
gun?  thats what i heard.... Mine might have been put on with one when i had
the suspention put on 15k miles ago.
If i do need a new one,  should i have both replaced?  with stock M3 ones or
aftermarket?  and how much do they run?

Please email me directly with any suggestions, i dont know where to begin and
dont want to get ripped off on labor trying to fix something that isnt broken.

thanks so much in advance,
Steve Dudash