Re: E-36 HD - Sachs Clutch Problem

I have recently had a new Sachs HD Clutch Installed by my local import
shop.  The shop is well thought of with a large number of BMW
customers.  New items included: HD Clutch Disk, HD Plate, new release
levere, Pilot bearing ( standard part ), Release Bearing ( standard part
).  Parts were purchased from and with the recommendation of KORMAN.

The problem(s) are: 1.) I have very little (1/2") travel befor the
clutch is engaged., 2.) When cold there is often virtually no travel
making it very very difficult in engage reverse or 1st gear, 3.) When
driven hard as in a Solo, I get a "clutch smell" as if the clutch were
slipping, although I can not detect any slippage.

The shop has bled out the system several times and even made an extented
linkage ( longer ) in an attempt to gain a more normal release point.  I
would like to have a relase point that is more like the original
clutch.  Korman has informed me that "all HD clutches release at or very
near the floor.

Car is almost impossible to shift into 1st or reverse, especilly when
the car is cold or when comming off the inter-state having driven 40 or
more miles in 5th.

Please respond directly to me or to the digest if you feel this is a
common problem that may help others.