Scratch removal on wood? & 740i vs 911 for 8 hour drive?

I have developed light, highly visible scratches on the polished wood/dash
portion of the car.  How do I remove these, or do I have to have a
professional do it with a buffer (I own no equipment of my own and am not
too handy with fixing things on the car!).

 I've been immensely enjoying the digest these past few months, as flames
have been reduced greatly and everyone seems more civilized as of late.
Going to Pittsburgh tomorrow and can't decide whether to take the 95 740i
or the 88 911 Coupe... I've been agonizing over it!  The BMW is more
comfortable but not great on the curves of the Pennsylvania turnpike (body
roll - urghh) , and the 911 is way more fun, but not as comfortable on the
grinding roads of the highway after a few hours...(it's a four hour trip
each way from Wash DC to see the Andy Warhol museum!).  It's nice to have
tough decisions like these - being an adult isn't that bad. Any advice on
either topic?
Steve Robinson
95 740i Aspen Silver/Grey (with Grateful Dead sticker in the rear
windshield!)
88 911 Carrera Coupe Blue/Blue (STLABLU)