E30 89 325i Engine Noise Question

I went and looked at an 89 325i yesterday and heard a weird noise from the
engine. When I started the car, it idled at about 1400 RPM and bounced
around (+-300RPM) for about 10 seconds and then steadied at 1400 RPM.
When I listened to the engine, I heard a metallic ringing sound from the top
under or around the air intake manifold. The sound was sort of like a washer
being spun on a large bolt. My .02 would be a cam bearing.

So here's my question, does anyone know what this sound might be? Is it
normal for this engine?

BTW. The car has 104000 km (~65,000 miles) and is on sale for $7000 CDN
(~$4800 US). (???)

Wendall
92 325i E36

Wendall Siemens