Fikse wheel/Bridgestone tire raffle

This comes from Duane Collie.  He has arranged a raffle to benefit
the "bubbakids", two children involved in a terrible accident
several months ago.

The text is actually meant for non-bmw lists if it reads a little
strangely.

If you're on another automotive list and haven't heard of the
raffle there, please forward the information on ahead.  I've
been approaching list owners directly and asking them to post
this info but an actual list participant will carry more weight.

Thank you,
Michael Fennell

We Bimwads are an amazingly cohesive group.  Like you, as Car Club
Members, we share enthusiasm for our machines that transcends them being
transportation devices.  We've set up Internet discussion groups,
e-mail digests and all sorts of tools to communicate about our BMW's
several times each day. Along the way, friendships form across the miles
and other thoughts are shared relating to non-automotive matters.  And,
sometimes reality smacks us in the face.

One of our cohorts on the BMW Internet groups is Dr. Keith Battan, who
drives an E36 M3 and is on the front line of the Trauma 7 Emergency
Department at Children's Hospital in Denver, CO.  He sees a lot of pain
and a lot of suffering.  On one particularly frustrating day this past
January, he sent our small "Bubba" BMW mail list this e-mail (http://
www.bubbaclub.com/kids):

"A bit much at work today. . Too busy, much badness. Took care of a sister
and brother who were choppered in after being in a car crash/fire-- Mom
was driving her two kids and they were rear ended at high speed. Mom was
killed at the scene, the 6 year old boy Alex had 100% burns of his head,
including full thickness burns of his face above his lips and 2nd degree
burns of the rest of his head. His hands were charred too. The 7 year old
girl, Kori, had some of her hair burned off and was unconscious at the
scene but woke up later and had a normal head scan. So physically she was
now fine. The boy went off to the OR. Kori needed to be told her mother
was dead. Parents frequently have to be told their child is dead. It's
been a while since I told a kid their parent is dead. She just blinked
blankly for a second. She said "this just happened?" I didn't tell her
that her mom had been dead for a couple hours by this time. She said, "I
guess my babysitter will have to be my mom then." No tears. Amazing girl
but the denial will leave her probably sooner rather than later. We're
trying to find her grandparents in California. Dad is being located,
he's somewhere in Europe. Her brother will probably survive but his face
and hands will be severely scarred. No mom. This shouldn't happen. . . ."

This galvanized our little e-mail group and hit home with the realities of
how cruel life can be to children.  Rather than merely saying,
"jeeezz...that's too bad" and going back to discussing tire pressures on
track tires, we decided to do something about it as a group.  We spread
the word to the BMW Digest(s) and  tooled this up as a cause.  Donations
from CCA members on the Internet mail lists started to pour in, a small
stuffed animal here, twenty bucks there...it all started to add up.  We
even have a place to send e-mails to these kids at www.bubbaclub.com/kids.
At this point their retired grandparents are raising them in California and
the bills will continue to be huge as they recover from the trauma. A
trust fund was established to help provide and manage funds for Kori and
Alex and we have raised approximately $3000 among ourselves.

Not content to stop, we contacted Jim and Matt Fikse at Fikse Wheels
(http://www.fikse.com) in Seattle, Washington.  Fikse wheels are
beautifully crafted, three-piece forged modular wheels that are jewel-
like in quality and tremendously strong and light.  After hearing the
story of the Miller kids, they generously agreed to donate one complete
set of (4) Fikse wheels in any size and fitment as part of our fundraising
effort.  This is a substantial contribution as these are not an
inexpensive wheel.  Scott Coulter of Merchants Tire in Manassas, Virginia
has further agreed to donate a set of (4) Bridgestone S-02 Pole Position
tires to mount on the Fikse wheels.  Together this package is worth about
$ 5,000.00 and up at street prices.

What we are going to do is raffle these off.  Every penny donated will be
sent to the fund for these unfortunate children.  There will be no
administrative costs whatsoever as all the raffle checks will be deposited
straight into their trust.  Winner will be drawn at the BMWCCA
"Oktoberfest" in Indianapolis this coming July. Winner need not be present
to win and will be responsible for shipping and taxes on the prize.

How do you get your raffle tickets?  Simple, but please follow these
directions exactly:

Make your check out to "The Kori and Alex Fund", and be sure to enclose
a stamped, self-addressed return envelope for your ticket (all proceeds
go directly to the Trust Fund - no administrative costs).  Mail your
check [and SASE] to:

	Bubbakids
	P.O.B. 15049
 	Alexandria, VA 22309.

We'll mail you back your raffle ticket(s) for the Fikse Wheels and the
Bridgestone Tires. Tickets are $20.00 each, or (3) for $ 50.00.  Odds are
based on the number of entries and this is open to all in not only the BMW
Car Club, but others as well (Corvette, Porsche, etc.)  Void where
prohibited.

This is a grassroots effort by your fellow Car Club and is one hundred
percent volunteer-powered.  Because of the caring spirit and generosity of
Jim and Matt at Fikse Wheels and Scott at Merchants Tire, we can raise
some money and do some good for these children that need a little help.
Grab your checkbook today before you forget!  There's nothing sharper
looking than a set of sparkling new Fikse wheels on your ride, especially
when combined with a set of new Bridgestone S-02 tires from Merchants
Tire. They could be yours! Really. Best of all, you'll be winning no
matter what by helping Kori and Alex Miller.

Duane Collie
Michael Fennell: mfennell@domain.elided