<E-30> Differentials

My '91 318i (E-30 body, M42 engine) with 104K miles is now suffering from a very
noisy differential.  I'm told by a few shops that this problem is relatively
common to E-30s, although for the life of me I can't figure out why BMW can't
build a long-lasting non-limited-slip differential, when even Ford and GM diffs
last longer than mine before they start howling!  As you might expect, rebuilt
diffs are outrageously expensive ($1200-$1600), and even a bearing kit from BMW
lists for $800, I'm told!  Needless to say, I'm looking at a used replacement
differential (although with my like, it too will get noisy in the near future).
Anyone out there have a similar story, and can anyone recommend a source for a
good used diff?  I've heard good things about Jason Lile's Zionsville Autosport,
but are there other sources out there I can trust?   TIA
     Dave Spiegelthal
     Calverton, VA