<30> flickering oil light

Greetings digesters,

I have an 85 318i that I am trying to get back into
good shape.
I have noticed in the last week that if I am on the
freeway and come off the oil light will flicker when I
am at a stop at idle. Raising the rpms a bit makes it
go out. Today when I was parking the car at the metro
stop it started flickering again.
The oil is full. I was palnning to change the oil and
filter this weekend.

Is this a sign from the pump that it is getting ready
to go? Is it from the filter? Any help or light on this
subject would be most helpful I don't want to get
supprised when a pump dies and i turn the car into
junk.
Thanks in advance for any help.

regards,

jkc