Tire size for E36 - Lower car ?

My 93 325is needs new tires.  I am currently running the factory (sport
package) 225/55/15 Michelin MXM.  Choice of tires in that size is very
limited.

I want to keep the 225 width for the new tires.

One option is to get 16" wheels and go to 225/50/16.

Another option is not to have to buy wheels, and put on 225/50/15 on
existing wheels. Saves lots of money. Tires will fit perfectly, and be
one inch smaller in diameter.

I am looking for your advice on doing this tire size change.  I can see
the following factors:

1) Handling performance should be very similar, if not identical, to
225/50/16 (good).

2) Gearing ratio would increase by approx. 3.7% from current.  I do
mostly city driving, so it is good for acceleration and less
downshifting.  Speedometer and odometer would overmeasure by 3.7%. Not
great but I think I can live with that.

3) Car would seat one inch lower, and car is already lower than most
E36s, due to factory sport suspension.  Plus: Good for handling.
Drawbacks: Greater chance of under carriage damage; my bumpers would
seat even lower than now, which on parallel parking sometimes it already
means lower than the bumper of the car in front or behind me.  Increased
risk of damage to grille area when morons park in front of me and back
up in a hard way.

4) Outside diameter of tires being smaller, wheel wells would look less
full.  Only a cosmetic issue, and IMHO, they currently look quite full
with the (lower car) sport suspension, so I do not care about this
effect of the 225/50/15.

What do you advice ?

Thanks,

Andrew