changing pinion bearing...has anyone done their own?

Hi all,

I'm getting conflicting info from local sources.  I've got to change the
pinion bearing on my differential, (car is 325 E30 ETA, differential 3.25
LSD from 535i), a friend says he's done it, just make sure you seat the big
nut to the same place to preserve the lash setting, a buddy with a shop says
don't even try it.  I'm scared!

I can either take the diff out and take it to the shop, have them go through
it, pay $, I'll know it's done right, or I can try to change the pinion
bearing and seal myself, hoping that I'm changing the right part and that
it'll hold up.

Anyone have experience with this?  Any info, no matter how "small" will be
appreciated..
thanks!

- -Rod Birch