Re: E39 Lighting/ Electrical

Karl Carrier writes:

> Previous to my last question, about a suitable connection point for
> a pair of driving lights to a E39 528 (I can't find a positive rail
> suitable for about 15 amps any ideas?) , I was just wondering if the
> front headlamps are actually fused ?  I can't find the correct fuse
> either in the boot (above the battery), or in the glove box. The car
> has the Xenon dipped headlamps.

Karl

You can't find the fuse because the lighting is not fused. All exterior
lights are controlled by the LCM (Lamp Contol Module) which is located
behind the side kick panel (on the passenger side on Left H Drives - not
sure if it is switched on yours but I think not).

All lights are controlled by semiconductor power switches - with
internal protection. - NO FUSES OR RELAYS !
And they are all "activated" by ground signals coming from the controls
(light switchs, etc).

BUT
You can use a separate relay to control any new lamps you want to
install. Just mount it near the LCM (or up under the dash) and get
power  for the new lights by tapping into the main power lead going to
the LCM (probably thick red).  For controling the relay you can tap into
the lead that activates the high beams - two options for this.
Use either:
- - control ground from dash switch ( pin 44 on 54 pin connector) OR
- - battery from LCM to left main beam ( pin 6 on white 15 pin connector
white/green wire)
I suggest you use the control ground lead since the other one also
serves to monitor the status of the high beam bulb.

PS - careful with the LCM - it stores other data relative to the
operation of the car. Do not turn on ignition with the LCM disconnected
(but you should not have to disconnect it - except maybe to get to the
wire on pin 44 - may need to disconnector to count all the small pins to
find the correct wire - I don't know the colour of that one.

Hope that helps

Cheers

Jim Cash
London, Ontario, Canada