HELP e34 overheating

My car problems come in groups.  Just had the fuel pump replaced, now
the car is overheating.

Observations:

1) If I let the car idle, the car will work itself into the red zone
(temp gauge)..and the coolant light will come on on the dash.  The Aux
Fan never kicks in (cept if I jump brown to black/yellow/grey).

2) If I drive the car for miles on the interstate, same deal.  Needle
works itself into/close to the red.

3) I found one of the wires to the Radiator Temp Sensor had broken
off.  reconnected the wire...didn't help with the overheating..fan
never comes on (cept if I turn the air cond. on).

4) If I jump brown to black/yellow/grey, fan runs fine

5) When I do force the fan to operate (jump brown to
black/yellow/grey), the needle still works itself into/close to the red.

6) I went and bought a new sensor but haven't installed thinking it
*might* not be the sensor so I'd wait to install it before I properly
diagnosed the problem (saving $50).

How can I tell if this is a fan clutch or water pump?  Does it sound
like there's two problems?  Sensor AND something else?

I was supposed to drive to Hoboken, NJ tomorrow, I'm getting a bit
nervous that that isn't going to happen.

Let me know if I can fill in any blanks to aid in your diagnosis.

Thanks much for the help,
David
1991 525i with overheating problems