re: Painting BBS basket weave wheels

>I need to paint my 14" BBS basket weave style wheels that are on my 87
>325is and I have a few questions:

>1.  What is the best paint to use that matches the BBS hub covers?  What
>brand is it, does it come in cans, and where can I get it?

Wurth and BMW both sell the same paint, great stuff. Use a
good clearcoat on top like Wurths. Repaint the BBS plastic
centres too and but new centre roundels, not expensive.

>2.  Is sandblasting the wheels recommended prior to painting?

It's a good idea but if they're not bad then 600 and 1000 grit wet-and-dry
will do instead. Use with lots of water.

>3.  Is primer used before the color coat?

It is during manufacture, most wheels have a whiteish undercoat. If you
strip all the paint it's probably a good idea.

>5.  Can good results be obtained leaving the tires on the wheels when
>painting?

No. You'll need to remove the balance weights at least. MUCH
better to remove them.

- --
Email: john@domain.elided, John G.Burns B.Eng, Bonny Scotland
Web  : http://www.unixnerd.demon.co.uk - The Ultimate BMW Homepage!