Removing HFM Screens (evaluation)

hey all,

I took out the screens in the HFM this past weekend and drove the car
for a few days, and I have to agree with Nick G. that is NOT a good
idea.  The car stumbled out of first gear and generally felt rough
through the RPM range.  Although, I didn't hear any pinging, it just
didn't 'feel' right.  Oh well, live and learn...

Anyone know why the ecu gets so freaked out by the removal of the
screens...it seems so logical to remove a blockage in the intake
track...