Re: shifter buzz

> Date: Mon, 15 Mar 1999 11:01:45 EST
> From: LFJII@domain.elided
> Subject: Shift knob buzz
>
> Hi, Digesters:
>
> I've got a buzzy shift knob on my 5-speed E36 325i ('94). It tries to sing
> along with the engine at certain RPMs. It only takes a light touch on the knob
> to silence it for a moment... but the buzz always returns.
>
> It seems like the noise is the plastic inner part of the knob vibrating
> against the metal gearshift lever. Any ideas how to cure this without getting
> a new knob?
>
> Thanks much.
>
> Len Johnson
> '94 E36 325i
> '85 E30 325e (RIP)

Len I had the same problem on my old 325i. Pull the knob off, wrap the shaft of the lever with a good electrical tape( 3m super33 Home Depot $4.99/roll) 2 or 3 times. Make sure you wrap it very tight, like an electrician would wrap a wire, otherwise your shift lever will not go back on. Then place your knob over the lever and whack it a couple of times with your hand. This method will also cure knobs that spin around a lever shaft. It may sound a little crude but
it works !!!

Sean Duckworth
duk007@domain.elided
1998 M3 coupe blk\blk (waiting to get fiksed, and sharked)
1998 Weimaraner grey\blue eyes ( the M3 of dogs)