compression braking

Ok, I ignored this thread until I saw the "overwhelming response" part.
What is wrong with compression braking?  I specifically bought an SUV with
a manual gearbox specifically for going down hills.  As far as I'm
concerned its the only way to go.  Just drop the transfer case into low4
and idle down in 1st gear.  works great.  ABS can't touch it, because the
wheels won't lock, but they won't slip too much either (like ABS has a
tendency to do).

Don't see a problem with using same principle with my M3.  If you match
revs then there is no wear on the clutch at all, and if the motor is
slowing the car down, then there is no wear on the brakes either.

SUV is on original brakes at 65k miles and clutch is in good shape.

Jason