Re: Tires

bucktha seelan <buc@domain.elided> asks:

>What does Traction A and Temperature A mean.

What do they mean?  Not much.  They're supposed to indicate the performance
level of the tire, with Traction being a measure of straight-ahead wet
braking, and Temperature being a measure of the tire's resistance to heat
being generated by running at high speed.  The problem is that the
categories are so broad they've become meaningless.  For example, looking
at the TireRack's web site (BTW - one of the best sites around for info on
things like ratings, nomenclature, etc. - be sure to check out the "Tire
Tech" link off the main page at http://www.tirerack.com), the ultra-high
performance Michelin Pilot MXX3 (stock M3 tire) is rated A A, but so is the
Goodyear Infinitred all-season tire.  In fact, I couldn't find a car tire
that didn't have a traction rating of A on the entire site - I did find a
few tires with a temp rating of B, but nothing lower...

Hope this helps,

Jim Ochi
jochi@domain.elided