Upgrading shocks on a E34 540i

I just had a new short block done on my M60 engine at 80,000 miles.  My car
has self-leveling suspension, known as LAD.  Does anyone have experience with
upgrading the suspension on this car.  I am looking for a little stiffer ride
for the street, not for the track.  Is this upgrade something that a weekend
mechanic can do himself or does it require expertise in adjustment?  Would it
be a wiser choice just to have a Dinan stage I at a service center?  Is it
recommended to change the control arms and bushings at the same time?  How
about the thrust arms?

Thanks for the input....

Warren Churgin
1994 540iA