<E36> Uh-oh, Rough running....

Hi everyone,

Today my E36 325i (93) was exhibiting some definitely non-BMW
characteristics. Whenever I pulled away from standstill, the car would
'bog-down' and not accelerate cleanly, almost as though the handbrake was
half-on. It also seemed to surge when cruising and almost misfire, but not
quite, when accelerating through the gears. Performance also seems a bit
'flat' (no surprises there). It sounds OK although I noticed a slightly
uneven tone from the exhaust on deceleration, but this could be
coincidence. It starts fine.

Does this ring any bells with anyone? Am I about to have an imminent
engine-no-go situation? Or does anyone have any ideas on what to have a
look at? And does anybody know the symptoms of an intermittent crankshaft
sensor? I have had a slight surging since I bought the car 6 months ago and
have been trying to find out why ever since. Maybe this problem is related
to todays???
Any suggestions welcome and thanks in advance!

Regards

Sean

http://homepages.tcp.co.uk/~scm1/bmw.htm

'93 E36 325i SE (24v VaNoS)