Re: -E36--M42-advancing ignition questions

>- How can I modify the ignition timing?

This is where modified chips get a lot of their power
SO chip it they are a really cheap mod.

>- Is the ignition timing that the computer computes the optimum for the
gas type that I am using

No Up to a preset point then down from there if knock is present.

>- Does the computer advances the timing until the knock sensor kicks
in, then retards a fraction from there?

Unfortunitually No

>- Is the computer constantly checking for optimum timing advance (like
the vacumm advance in mechanical dist)?

This may be better answered by others,
I think the whole point of the Computer is to do the same thing as
tradional dist more accurately.

Does your M42 have a distributor or is it like my M44 with seperate
computer controled coils?

YMMV
Jeff