Re: standard vs auto.

Here again, I time my approach so the cars ahead of
me can make their full stop and take off while I'm traveling at
a slowly decreasing speed to need only one clutch operation.   With
only one car ahead of me, this timing is rather easy.   With two cars,
its more difficult, but possible.

   Has anyone else tried these techniques?

Everyone who ever owned a standard has tried those techniques.  They work great - not
to mention the control and acceleration that a standard gives you.  I traded a
Corolla 5 speed in on a 528e automatic for a specific reason.  I was sick of dealing
with the clutch and shifting. I don't think anyone would argue that an auto.
transmission is actually better than a manual.  I often wish my BMW had manual, but
there are other times when I like having the freedom of movement that an auto.
gives.  It's a trade-off.

S. Carlisle 87 528e auto