1991 525i won't start

Here's a tough one for the experts:

note: I've never had even the slightest problem starting my car in the
past.  Always within the first second on turning the key.

Got up yesterday, started fine.  Drove to work, parked, then came out
to run errands for lunch.  Car started fine.  Returned to work,
parked, and went in.  About 4pm, went to start the car...it would
sputter on the first 1/2 second and then nothing.  It turns over like
a champ, but no spark.  Let it sit for 1/2 hour.  Go out and try
again..  not even the slightest sputter...just turns over like a champ.

I had it towed to a garage.  First thing they checked was the
"electronic module"...they say that wasn't the problem.  For some
reason, there's no spark signal...and aren't sure what next to check.

Any thoughts?

Thanks for your help,
David
1991 525i...slightly injured...I hope.