E36 front suspension noise

About a month ago my 1992 E36 325I started to make a weird noise when the
front axle went over a dip or speed bump at around 10 MPH.  The noise sounds
like the shocks, and more specifically, the sound seems to be the shocks
"bottoming out".  If the noise isn't from the shocks, it then has to be some
other part of the front suspension, but my money is on the shocks.  Besides
the noise, the car seems to drive fine.  Does anyone have any idea's as to
the problem and how to fix it.  I am hoping that this is a cheap fix.  TIA.

Ken Ross
Kdross@domain.elided