Re: E34/E39 model identification

Bill Mitchell wrote:

> Moe asks if his '95 540i is an E34 or E39, which on the face of it is a
> simple, easily answered question, but there is more:
> First, it is an E34.  All fivers from '89 through 95 are E34 body cars.  The
> E39 model came out in the Spring of '96 as a '97 model.
>
> The reason for the confusion is partly because BMW chose NOT to market a
> 1996 five series car at all.  The new E39 body style began to show up in the
> US in March-April of 1996 but it was officially a 1997 model.
>
> Therefore, there is NO 1996 five series car!

What I think you mean here is that BMW of NA did not sell a *model
year* 1996 five series car.  In Europe, where the calendar is less
subject to the edicts of marketing, the E39 5er went on sale the Fall
of 1995, immediately after the IAA. Within a couple days of the show I
had convinced a fellow in the U.S. he just had to have a 540i. I
believe his family immediately went on a macoroni and cheese diet as
financial preparation. It must have been a long six months.

- -John
'96 318is

- --
john.firestone@domain.elided