Re: Pioneer CDX-M30 changer OEM compatible?

>Date: Thu, 25 Feb 1999 05:00:47 -0800 (PST)
>From: Doug Wagley <dwagley@domain.elided>
>Subject: Pioneer CDX-M30 changer OEM compatible?
>
>I have a question for anyone who has experience with the
>Pioneer CDX-M30 6 disc CD changer.
>
>I have an 1987 325ic. Sometime around late 1990/early
>1991 I had a new factory BWM "Anti-Theft" radio installed,
>along with the BWM/Alpine 6 disc CD changer. This is the
>radio with the mode button to the lower right, next to the
>slider type finger control for bass/treble, and the six
>pre-set buttons on a single line just above.
>
>The Alpine CD changer gave out last year and I was told
>that the Pioneer CDX-M30 CD changer was compatible with
>the BMW OEM radio.
>
>The place where I mail ordered the Pioneer CDX-M30 changer
>tells me that this combo should be a direct plug in, and
>indeed the Pioneer cable does match the connector in the
>BMW OEM radio. However, a local installer tells me that
>I need a "changer to factory radio adapter" cable.
>
>Any information or experiences anyone has had with this
>combo would be greatly appreciated.

Doug,

First of all, the Pioneer changer will NOT work with the BMW/Alpine head
unit.  The connector matches, but if you power the unit up, it will blow up
the changer outputs on the head unit (ask me how i know :o)).  The only
thing you can do is replace the changer with another BMW/Alpine changer.
You can't even replace it with a regular Alpine, the wiring is different
than on the BMW/Alpine changer, and there is no 'conversion' cable to allow
it to work.

Later,

jason mccowan
ncc