Pioneer CDX-M30 changer OEM compatible?

I have a question for anyone who has experience with the
Pioneer CDX-M30 6 disc CD changer.

I have an 1987 325ic. Sometime around late 1990/early
1991 I had a new factory BWM "Anti-Theft" radio installed,
along with the BWM/Alpine 6 disc CD changer. This is the
radio with the mode button to the lower right, next to the
slider type finger control for bass/treble, and the six
pre-set buttons on a single line just above.

The Alpine CD changer gave out last year and I was told
that the Pioneer CDX-M30 CD changer was compatible with
the BMW OEM radio.

The place where I mail ordered the Pioneer CDX-M30 changer
tells me that this combo should be a direct plug in, and
indeed the Pioneer cable does match the connector in the
BMW OEM radio. However, a local installer tells me that
I need a "changer to factory radio adapter" cable.

Any information or experiences anyone has had with this
combo would be greatly appreciated.

                            Thanks,
                              Doug

                            dwagley@domain.elided