<E30>Excessive valve lashing noise

Today I adjusted the valve clearance to the Bentley specs on an 87 325is
I recently bought.  While the valve lashing noise has been reduced, I
still find it to be excessive.  The car is not burning oil so I am
assuming the valves, seals, guides, and seats are OK.  I did find
excessive lateral play in the rocker arms though.  Could this also cause
valve lashing?  I will replace the rocker shafts, arms, and adjusting
eccentrics if this will solve my noise problem.  However, I wanted to
see if anyone had any experience with replacing them, and, if the
replacing eliminated the noise.  Or, is the chance that the noise is
caused by something else just too high to justify spending the money on
these parts.  I wanted to get feedback since all the parts through mail
order such as Bav Auto would run me $394.

Thanks,

Mark Colasante