<E30>How do I wire a temporary remote starter?

I have an 87 325is.  Does anyone know how to wire a standard trigger
type, mechanics remote starter to this ignition system?  I tried by
removing the coil wire from the distributor and grounding it.  I also
removed the positive wire to the coil itself.  Then, I connected the 2
leads from my remote starter to the 2 posts on the starter.  I put the
car in neutral and turned the key into the ON position.  I pulled the
starter trigger and the engine does not turn over.  However, the starter
does sound as though it is turning but is not engage with the flywheel.
If I turn the key to the start position the engine does turnover.  What
am I doing wrong?

Thanks,

Mark Colasante
90 325iC