Re: 328i E36 Yellow gunk inside oil cap

I investigated this recently myself; here's what I learned.  The yellow
stuff is water condensate.  Because the oil filler area tends to be the
coolest part of the oil system, any water vapor in the oil system will
generally collect there.  Small amounts of water in the oil is normal as it
condenses from the air (or, I suppose, possibly from the exhaust
condensate?); if you don't drive enough to boil it out of the oil system, it
will slowly accumulate.

Interestingly, there is a difference in this regard between dino and
synthetic oil, according to my (Porsche) mechanic.  Synthetic oil mixes
somewhat with water, resulting in less separation of oil and water, and less
condensate.  This doesn't mean there's less water in the oil system, just
less that is separated out and condenses at the filler.  My mechanic doesn't
like that, especially if you don't drive it enough to boil the water out
regularly.  Dino oil and water don't mix well at all and there will be more
water condensate at the filler.  For relatively short driving habits, he
actually recommends dino oil.

                -Mike

'98 323iC, Avus Blue, 3k
'87 911 Carrera coupe, Venetian Blue, 86k

- --On Tue, Feb 23, 1999 7:07 AM -0500 bmw-digest