Final drive ratio and sluggish acceleration

I have a `97 E36 328i coupe (UK model) with a 5 speed automatic ZF gearbox (I
used to have a 95 E36 328i with a four speed GM auto).  I find that the
accelaration on the 5 speed auto is much slower compared to the 4 speed auto
given that the engines are the same.   I suspect that that it is due to the
different gear ratios and also the different final drive ratios.  Can anyone
explain to me on why the acceleration on the 5 speed auto is sluggish?  However,
despite that, the ratios on the 5 speeder is better matched and seems to have a
better high end feel as compared to the 4 speeder where the seems to be a drop
in torque somewhere after 3500 rpm and the gap between 3rd and 4th is too wide
especially at speeds of about 180 kmh (110mph).

I would appreciate if the formula of calculating the max speed of each gear
based on each ratio and the final drive can also be explained.  Do you know what
is the final drive ratio for my model (sorry my owner's manual have been nicked)
and would the acceleration change if I lower it?

Thanks and best regards.

See Meng

End of bmw-digest V9 #993