Re: clear coat bubbing

Kennie Merz asked:
> I just noticed on my 1995 525I that some of the clear coat is bubbling
>up in a small region (2in x 1/2in) on the drivers door. I want to stop
>this problem ASAP and was wondering if anyone had any suggestions on
>how to (1) replace the clear coat via a touch-up? and (2) how to
>stop this from spreading further. I do all the obvious things to
>protect the finish on my car (e.g., wax, wash regularly, etc.), so
>I am not sure why this happened to start with.

Are you the original owner?  Do you know the history?  Sounds like a poor
repaint to me.  You can have dealer pull a service history file from BMW
which can tell you if BMW disclosed any damage before the sale. If so you
may have a case for a BMW-paid repaint of the effected areas.  (You live
too close to Manheim to discount the possibility of it being a repainted
auction car.)  Strip and repaint is really the only way to solve the
problem.  It could even be a blend from an adjacent panel's repaint.

- -Phil Marx