<E34>Re:Tire Adhesion Information

It was written:

My E34 535ia will be needing tires in about 6 months. Itcurrently has
Dunlop D60-A2's in 225/60/15.  I like the stickyness ofthese , but
the resistance to puncture and crappy performance in thiswinters 3 ice
days was terrible.  I think that a 235/60/15 might be a bitbetter, But
I need something that will deal with Portland, Oregon's
winter. (read:high performance/all season)

===========================

In defense of the Dunlops, I don't think they are more puncture-prone
than any other tire.  Come to think of it, is any modern street radial
more susceptible to punctures than another? Regardless, a wider tire
is not the answer for better ice/snow conditions.  A narrower tire is
the answer, as there is a higher weight to contact patch ratio. Not
many tires are going to handle ice too well.

This winter I used the Prestone Trak stuff in the can.  Its an
extremely sticky spray that allegedly stays on your tires for up to 40
miles or so.  That, combined with about 150 lbs of sand in the trunk
works wonders for me.  Drawback of the sticky stuff?
Overspray/splatter is HELL to get off of the car/rims, and it's also
not too easy to get the stuff applied to all of the rear tire.  Spray.
Back up the car a bit.  Spray. Back up the car a bit.

Ron Browne
1992 318is
Bowie, MD