wierd ticking noise

This same exact thing happened to me with my 95 325i.  Not only was it
ticking I also had a burnt plastic smell coming from under the car too.
The problem with mine was that the drive shaft coupling was thrashed.
it was cracked, melting and falling appart.  Scared the Sh*t out of me
when I saw it and didn't drive it until I took it into the dealer. As
soon as you get a chance jack up the car and take a peek at your
driveshaft coupling.  Some people call that part a flex disk aslo.  It
is the round part that connects the drive shaft to the tranny (I think).
Belive me if something is wrong with it you will see it right away.
Hope this helps.

By the way it cost me about $300 to fix after parts and labor and a new
rear tranny seal and new tranny mounts.  Dunno how much it will cost you
and you didn't say what kinda car you had.

Manuel Paredes
95 325i X-ed
L.A. Chapt BMWCCA