So where does one draw the line???

So where does one draw the line when it comes to spending money on
restoring/repairing an 86 325e?

I got this car relatively cheap ($2.5K) but the paint is shot. I can get a
fairly good paint job for about $1K. I also need to replace at least the
driver's seat (at least the bottom section) and maybe the rear seat back
(this I could live with). Anyway, is it really worth spending $1K to paint a
$2.5K car since there is nothing particularly special about a 325e? It'll
probably increase the value a few hundred dollars. I'd be interested to hear
the thoughts/opinions of others.

/tb