<E30> Strange ticking sound??? (1986 325e)

Oh wise one's:

I have this annoying ticking sound emanating from under the front of my car.
It resemble spinning a bicycle wheel while holding a piece of hard plastic
against the spokes.  The frequency also coincides with the speed of my car.
Here's the weird part. While in 2nd or 3rd gear (so as not to change gears
inadvertently), pulling back on the shift level all but eliminates the
ticking. What might this problem be? Your input will greatly be appreciated.

Thanks,
/tb

End of bmw-digest V9 #974