<E30> HVAC Blower Motor and Ballast Resistors

Excuse me while I rant just a bit.  Who the hell designed the HVAC
blower motor/ballast resistor assembly for the E30?  Obviously someone
who never had to take one apart once it was in the car, I'd guess.  And
the Bentley manual, while one of the better repair books available, was
not clear that you don't really have to remove the blower motor to get to
the resistor pack, so I took out the motor unnecessarily.  OK, rant mode
off.

I knew that the ballast resistors were not well made, consisting of wire
coils crimped into terminals held in place by rivits - no solder anywhere.  I
had been advised that they could usually be fixed by removing the
resistor pack and soldering up all the connections.  Only one problem:
apparently it takes a hotter soldering iron than mine.  So I just re-crimped
the connections and stuck it all back together.

Well, for now, all 4 fan speeds work, but in the process of removing and
re-installing the blower motor, I did something that caused the fan to
sound like a small helicopter inside my dash!??!  #@*&%%##@!   Yes,
the fan motor tabs are back in their nubs, but maybe installation is trickier
than Bentley described.  Anyway, if anyone can give me any hints on
the trick way to install the blower motor so it doesn't interfere with
anything, I would appreciate your input.

TIA,

Scott Miller
Golden Gate Chapter
BMW CCA #44977